Saturday, August 22, 2009

Castillo San Marcos, St. Augustine, Future Painting, Etc


Hello All,
I hope and trust you and yours have been having a fine weekend.

I have been a bit concerned, but not overly so, about my sister and her husband who live on the shore near Cape Cod in Mass. Hurricane Bill, while not making landfall there, is having some effects this evening. My sisters tm to me around 9:10 PM said they are fine.

Above, please see a picture or two of the Castillo San Marcos or also known as Ft. San Marcos. It is one of my earliest memories having visited there on a family vacation many years ago-- probably the first time around 1958 or 59-- I was seven or eight. I loved St. Augustine then and still do today.

Back in early July, 2009, on my return from a trip to TPC, Sawgrass, Ponte Vedre for photos for a golf painting, I intentionally stopped for a day and night in St. Augustine. I took many photos for future paintings of the "Dunes Series" (earlier posted here) and the "Low Country" marsh scenes. I also want to do a painting of "Castillio San Marcos" featured above. Among its many historic notable events, was the unfortunate and unjust imprisonment of Osceola, Chief of the Seminoles, by Andrew Jackson. Read the history sometime and you'll see why such an imprisonment was trickery, and unjust -- leading to the eventual, early, and pre-mature death of such a noble person-- Chief Osceola. I hope to do a very elaborate painting in the future of an old Forida swamp scene with Seminoles in it.

I have been busy this weekend with some painting techniques, working on two golf landscapes (including a private commission which is progressing nicely), and business matters.

Please keep in your prayers a good friend of mine of many years, who has given so much to so many and their families over the past years. He has recently fallen on very difficult financial times and has to now sell his house-- his future is uncertain-- not fair for such a kind and generous man. Please keep him in your prayers. Thanks.

Be well, Greg

No comments:

Post a Comment