Monday, August 24, 2009

Joseph Paul LaPierre, April 23, 1945- August 4, 2009, "Rest In Peace, R.I.P."


Greetings All,

Last night, through an email from "Howard Alan Events" www.ArtFestival.com, I received the sad news of the sudden passing on August 4, 2009, of a very talented local (with a national reputation) artist and fine man, Joseph Paul LaPierre.

Please see his web site, www.joelapierre.com.

I have not had the priviledge and honor of meeting Joseph's wife, Melody nor his son, Jesse. I did have the occasion of briefly meeting his daughter, Sarah, on April 19, 2009 at the Delray Festival of the Arts (more said about this below). But, to Joe's wife, Melody, his son Jesse, and his daughter Sarah, I extend my heartfelt condolences and hope for their comfort and peace in the future.

I met Joe only once-- the sunny morning of April 19, 2009 at the Delray Festival of the Arts, along Atlantic Avenue around 10:30 AM. I had never seen his work before. I had never heard of him prior to April 19. I went to the Delray Festival of Arts on a "fact-finding, information-gathering" mission.

When, after being suddenly laid off of my teaching, coaching position at Cardinal Newman HS because of the horrible economy (after 12 years of a wonderful experience), I decided it was time to try this "outdoor art show" circuit full-time. I had had some good success with it part-time in years past.

This was a "Howard Alan Events" show, and my plan for 2009-10 is to show in about 15+ Howard Alan Events. So, this was a good chance to check out a local show (I had been to several Howard Alan Events over the past ten years).

As I strolled along Atlantic Avenue, starting at Veteran's Park {where I showed for three years -- 2001-2004, with the Delray Art League), I proceeded west along Atlantic Avenue. Before too long, on the north side, with a double 10" x 10" tent display beautifully crisp, vibrant, large paintings caught my eye. I had to see this work. It was Joe's display.

I walked around quietly at first admiring his work, taking in the clear, but incredibly well orchestrated palette knife strokes that I have personally not attempted before. Joe was busy speaking in a naturally friendly, hospitable manner with some serious prospective buyers. I noticed a lovely, young lady with him (who was, as I was later introduced to, his beloved daughter Sarah). When Joe was free, I introduced myself. I told him that I really loved his work-- that I was impressed by the large scale of his paintings. I then told him that I was planning on showing in future Howard Alan Events, that I specialized in golf landscapes as well as Florida and "Low Country" landscapes in the South.

Joe immediately gave me encouragement, volunteering very helpful information. I had some specific questions for him, but people came walking up inquiring about his paintings-- I politely excused myself, already having benefited from his experience, his specific insights, and his encouragement. I proceeded down along Atlantic Avenue.

Later, I worked myself back East, and dropped by Joe's display tent for a second visit. He was speaking with folks, handling transactions -- with Sarah assisting-- with great enthusiasm and friendliness-- what an infectious smile !!

When people cleared out (momentarily), I continued my earlier conversation and Joe was very willing to answer the questions I had, and provided more helpful information.

I buy very few prints or originals from other artists, but I loved Joe's work.

So, I looked through his prints and after relishing many possibilities, I found one that really appealed to me: not sure the title, but it is a print of the original in the upper portion of the very moving picture of Joe playing the guitar with his son Jesse that appeared in last night's email, "The Art Community has lost a great friend, a companion, and a leader."

As I handed my credit card to him to purchase the print, Joe first introduced me to his daughter Sarah -- with such a sparkle in his eye. Joe then smiled at me and handed my card back without scanning it. I was puzzled, "Joe, what's that about ?" Enjoy. I was floored !!

What a gesture of generosity and encouragement to a new, aspiring artist to the outdoor art show circuit.

His print has been displayed in my studio since that day.

I have meet many, many people over my very enriched and varied life experiences during the past 58 years. I left that show feeling SO high with encouragment, and saying to myself, "I hope I can be like that guy (Joe) in dealing with people, in sharing my art work in the future."

I spent maybe a total of 15 minutes with Joe on April 19, 2009 in our two visits during the Delray Festival of the Arts. I did send him a "thank you" email later. I did not see Joe again. I had hoped to see him at Sunfest. But, I did not make it there this year. Now, I really regret not going.

Again I spent only 15 minutes in Joe's presence. I came away really impressed by his artistic talent but more importantly by his natural warmth, friendliness, hospitality, generorsity, and enthusiasm for life.

With their many years with Joe, the degree and level of loss that his wife Melody, son Jesse, daughter Sarah, and other family members and close friends must be experiencing is hard to swallow. But, I have lost dear loved ones myself. I do have some sense of their individual and family loss and pain.

There is some comfort and consolation to be found in the multitude of paintings that Joe left to so, so many to enjoy.

I was really looking forward to showing with Joe during the upcoming outdoor art show season. His absence will be tough for so, so many of his fellow artists and his collectors-- of originals and prints.

When one of his admirers is likely to ask me this year, "Where is Joe LaPierre ?", I will very humbly respond, "Let me tell you about the 15 minutes I spent with Joe."

Joe's art will live forever. But, after meeting him and reading last night's very moving email, the true legacy that Joe leaves behind (but just temporarily) - is his wife, son, and daughter. For as his loving, dedicated family ended last night's email, "Joseph, we celebrate your ''joie de vivre,' and I look forward to seeing you in eternity." Love, Melody, Jesse, and Sarah.

Melody, Jesse, and Sarah....please be comforted and consoled by a loving, mericiful, and always compassionate Lord. I look forward to meeting you at Joe's memorial service to be held in the future.

Be well and God bless, (Deacon) Greg Sherman

No comments:

Post a Comment